Friday, August 24, 2007

Have you ever.......

cut tobacco in 100 degree heat? If you ever get offered the chance, turn them down and run, run, run. I have spent the last two afternoons doing that so I speak from experience. I have the blisters on my hands, bruises on my body and sore muscles to prove it. lol
I think this is going to be the last year we raise tobacco. It has been a rough one considering the extreme heat and dry conditions. Just a few miles away, farmers have lost their entire crops to hail damage. That was just last week. We were lucky and didn't get the size of hail they did but it was the first rain we received in 2 weeks.
My son is helping cut for his first time. Not that he wanted to but actually to pay off his riding lawn mower that he purchased used from us. I think he wishes now that he had just paid for it instead. I guess he thought he was taking the easy way out.

I did get some more of my scrappy quilt done yesterday. There are going to be 72-8" blocks. Each block contains 4-3" nine patches in the corners, 4 paper pieced sections and a square for the middle. After the 72 blocks are done then there is a sashing strip that includes paper piecing. I may put this project aside to work on something else for a little while. Since I tried out the fusible applique I have gotten hooked on that. I found some free patterns on the internet that I would like to try. The great thing about this fusible web applique is how fast it is. So if I put my current project aside to do one it won't be for long.
I don't like having unfinished projects laying around. Once I start piecing a top I like to finish before I go on to something else. Notice I said piecing. I have lots of tops that need to be quilted but to me that isn't the fun part. So soon I will have to stop piecing and just sit down and quilt everything I have ready.
I actually loaded a quilt into my machine quilting frame a few weeks ago. I never started quilting it, just loaded it. I made a start! lol I have 3 bed quilts and 2 wall quilts that I need to get quilted. Maybe I will do that after I finish my current piecing project.
That is it for today. See you tomorrow!

No comments: